Our friend Peter Merriman graciously created a playlist for the store that (if you can believe it) is NOT hip hop inspired. Thank you for this.
What Narcissism Means to Me
1. I wanted to start the playlist with a Destroyer song, and I was going to use ‘Rubies,’ but then I pictured Jonathan playing air-flute to this one. To paraphrase Morrisey, Dan Bejar’s music has a certain perverted grandiosity to it, and thus speaks to me very directly.
2. Eurythmics are perfect for the summer and the detuned synth (?) in this has aged beautifully.
3. Talking Heads’ last single (from an album) ends with the line ‘I can’t get used to this lifestyle.’ And shout-out to the 7-11 across the street. Another summer jam.
4. Putting some post-Zai feminine energy back in the store with a song about boys. I also miss their drummer’s showboating in more recent Cardigans stuff.
5. & 6. Prominent rhythm guitar, lyrics expressing gratitude, popular West Coast vibes. I would say that Random Access Memories seems positioned to become the hipster Rumours, but I guess Rumours is already the hipster Rumours.
7. Like the Eurythmics track, another synth part that sounds perfect to today’s ears. Also: Jarvis strutting around Sheffield as Death, ‘making bodies’ and ‘laying people down.’
8. Early(ish) LCD, mostly for the drum machine at the beginning.
9. Classic Mael bros. / Moroder collabo. The more I listen to this, the more moving it becomes. I also tend to love songs about songs.
10. Meant as a pause before the rock stuff at the end, but also one of my favourite singles from last year, and hopefully a nice song to listen to in the summer.
11. I’ve loved the YYYs since their first EP, but I was still blown away when I first heard this (on Diplo’s ‘I Like Turtles’ mix). It took me a few years to find a reasonably priced copy on vinyl, so I’ll be playing it a lot.
12. A bad-ass funk-rock (and classic anti-slut-shaming) song. I can’t imagine she wasn’t an influence on Karen O. Listen to it when you’re getting ready to go out.
13. Hopefully not too ham-fisted as a closing track. I still can’t get over the production on the drums.
Join Peter and the lost & found crew at Unlovable this weekend.
Download the mix here